Re: [eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] Category Revisions

(btw, that email was queued since last week but was travelling and couldn't get access to email, so sorry it came after the call)

Agree.  The allocations need to reflect:
1) the topics for which people will submit talks
2) what is of interest to the community

I've never done this before, but I wonder though if there's a tendency to fill the time allocations.

Wrt the business track, the one talk I went to was packed beyond capacity (Tim Wagner's).  What I liked about his talk was that it got me thinking of something I wouldn't have otherwise. This happy surprise learning is what I always hope for in a conference.  We're a technical crowd for sure but we all also make a living at it, so if the talks are quality then I'd imagine some interest is there (and Tim's suggests there is).  Plus there's lots in the community, some on this very mail list, who consult, do courses, etc., so its not like we don't have people with a (vested) business interest on the floor already.

EclipseWorld is a whole other thing and many of us don't go. I'd just like to ensure that we're not accidentally missing out on another important aspect of Eclipse, one which is essential to its long term health.  As an aside, sometimes I think we regard "business" as a dirty word in Eclipse!

With such a small allocation, I wonder if its self fulfilling, and we subconsciously don't encourage the submissions of this topic? (Again, new at this, and no slight intended to the past owners of this topic).

Kevin

Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/08/2008 01:20 PM

Please respond to
Eclipsecon Program Committee list        <eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Eclipsecon Program Committee list <eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] Category Revisions

yeah, it is hard to get these allocations right.  One approach is to treat the current numbers as guidelines/current thinking.  With the global focus on having really great talks, there is no point, for example, in accepting mediocre talks just because well ahead time we thought it would be good to have N hours of topic T.

Jeff

Ed Merks wrote:

Kevin,

I agree with some of the concerns about allocations.  But I know that the reporting newsgroup has among the highest traffic of all the newsgroups while SOA and TPTP seem to generate only a trickle.  I'm not sure that's a reflective of how many folks would turn out for related talks though.  Chris and I did a committer track talk last year and the turnout was quite small.  If slots are in short supply, ones focused on technical material seem to be a better use, in my opinion.  I also agree with you about the business thing, but I wonder about the conference audience itself.  For example, I imagine that Eclipse World would have a much larger draw to a business track focus while EclipseCon has a much smaller business crowd to draw on.  I have no real factual basis for that comment though.  Perhaps we've done surveys about the demographics of the audience?  There's no point in having business-focused talks if the geeks stay away in droves.   I get the sense that C++ is extremely popular (again from the newsgroup traffic) but I wonder about it being equal to that of Java.  At the same time, is there all that much to say about Java that hasn't been said?

I suppose that for any of these things, if the slots are really over allocated, that will become clear by the number of quality submissions; unused slots will be obviously redistributed...

Kevin McGuire wrote:
  • I'm happy with Platform ext and Platform int.
  • I like the broad categorizations.
  • The overall ext splits seems good
  • 8hrs seems a lot for Reporting which is just one specific area (e.g. compared to SOA at 9hr which could be massive). Same comment for Test and Performance at 10.
  • Note sure what happens in 8hrs for committer and contributor, seems high.
  • Meanwhile, business and industry seems under represented at mere 3hrs, which could be quite broad.  Eclipse is only successful if it can be applied commercially (so we can all continue to get paid :>).  I'm thinking things like success stories or challenges in building commercial Eclipse based applications, industry comparisons and trends, etc. Is the issue here of audience, or that we tend not to get submissions in this area?

    Overall happy, the only one I feel at all strongly about is Business and Industry.

    Kevin

    Scott Rosenbaum <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Sent by:
    eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

    08/28/2008 06:17 PM

    Please respond to
    Eclipsecon Program Committee list
    <eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee@xxxxxxxxxxx>

    Eclipsecon Program Committee list <eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    cc
    CLONINGER ERIC-DCP874 <ericc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Darin Wright/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA, Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx>, Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject
    [eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] Category Revisions

All,

I think we reached consensus that it would be a good idea to have a simplified version of the external description of the EclipseCon categories.  I have re-worked the category descriptions a bit and filled in some misses from the first round.  The re-worked categories are up on the
spread-sheet
plus I have just copied them into the email for your convenience.

At this point, I just want to work with total hours of presentation time, once we get agreement that the categories are correctly named and we have the allocations appropriately balanced, I will take a stab at the Tutorial, Long, Main Stage, and Short Talk allocations.   If you feel your category is not getting appropriate representation, now is the time to speak up.

NOTE: I added 8 hours to the total to take in account the addition of the Linux DevCon

Additional questions:
1) Do the External Category Descriptions (first column in Bold) make sense?
2) Do we have the right balance between the various External Categories?
3) Did I miss any internal categories?
4) Do the internal category names make sense?
5) Is the balance good for the internal categories?

Finally, I wanted to share a personal milestone with all of you.  Today was our last big "First Day Of School".  Both of my kids, Sam (pre-k) and Louise (1st grade) are now in school.    Like most proud parents we had to take a picture, nice photo except for the goon in the blue shirt.

scott