Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] AI impact

All,

Good question :)

Wayne is working on a document to provide guidance to projects and committers. I believe he plans to share it here soon for your review and feedback.

One thing I will add is that any updates or changes to the EPL-2.0 are extremely unlikely. Besides which, the conventional wisdom AIUI is that AI-generated code cannot be copyrighted. And content which cannot be copyrighted falls outside the scope of the EPL.

On 2024-01-24 5:25 a.m., Emily Jiang via eclipse.org-architecture-council wrote:
By now, most of you are aware that AI is impacting the way of developing code with code assistance. More and more developers might consult ChatGPT, Copilot or others for code generation.

I have the following questions:
1. In Eclipse Foundation projects, do we recommend the usages of code assistance?
2. If we do, what kind of copyright text should the code use?
3. Should EPL be updated to permit AI generated code?

--
Thanks
Emily