Re: [eclipse-ide-wg] [jdt-dev] Red Hat's Future Java Tooling Plans and JDT

Hi all,

I have unfortunately not much time now for a really comprehensive answer on all the points, so only "short" answer here on main one.

The major point not mentioned: we don't have *active* core compiler developers in JDT anymore, for various reasons.

The core compiler team was already small last years, we've lost some core contributors because of burnouts, job changes etc but also we've lost independent contributors working on compiler in the past. At the end, compiler changes that follow Java language changes were mainly driven by *two* IBM developers till recently.

What I've heard now (and what the git log shows) is that remaining IBM JDT team members aren't working on Eclipse JDT anymore (I won't speculate why).
This means the end of future JDT core compiler development *if we don't act now*.

I wonder if anyone from IBM would like to *officially* shed the light on that topic? I miss an open and clear communication here, as it supposed to happen on an *open* source project.

But let assume the rumors are right, and there are no IBM compiler developers left in the project, who is supposed to drive Java 20+ language changes in JDT compiler?
This is a full time job that requires a decent understanding of complex Java specs and not less complex JDT code.
It can't be driven by occasional JDT contributors like me (I lack both knowledge and time for that job).
Only a dedicated team of professionals can drive JDT compiler changes, and we have to deliver something if we want support Java 20 in March 2023, 21 few months later etc.

With that preconditions, the mail from Eric can be simplified to a simple question: do we want a JDT core fork or not?

Will Red Hat team (which has no *core compiler* developers yet) be forced to fork JDT in order to drive JDT.LS / VS Code support for Java 20, or will we be able to manage the current situation by adopting JDT project to the changed reality?

I will not get into details *how* to do so or comment on any of the points raised by Eric (where I disagree with some, but that shouldn't block us to move forward).

Most important point for me is: we should avoid forking the project, as a fork from JDT core by Red Hat (for JDT.LS / VS Code support) will mean immediate end of classic Eclipse IDE as *Java* IDE, or at least make it even less relevant as it is already.

I personally will try to support JDT / RH team as much as I can *adopting* JDT project to avoid a fork.

Making the core compiler part development more independent from the JDT UI/JDT IDE development is the first and most important goal we should have.
At the end, ideally compiler will be "just" used by JDT IDE as a library, so compiler might already support Java 21 while IDE still have only support for Java 19. Not nice, but better than other alternative we have. With that, the core compiler can evolve more independently (and faster) from the rest of the IDE, and we could avoid forking / dead of Java support in Eclipse IDE.

For the rest & detailed discussion how to proceed I would prefer to use github tracker.

Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих

https://www.eclipse.org/user/aloskutov