Re: [eclipse-dev] Advice on working with GitHub

> - Builds completing - I have to go back and check PRs to see if the build is complete. This one is partially solved, but is imperfect -
> see https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.resources/pull/11

Yea, I miss build notifications a lot, because while working on multiple PR's it is hard to track which one is in which state (still running/failed/passed).

> That is something we can fix in our Jenkinsfile, using the `post { unstable { ... } failure { ... }}` blocks to conditionally send a mail.

Mickael, do you mean, one could improve https://github.com/eclipse-platform/eclipse.platform.resources/pull/11 ?

Could you please push a PR with the proposed change?

> However, note that in the times of Gerrit, people received notifications for each build.
> So the current state is almost identical to how things were earlier.

Current state *where* is "almost identical to how things were earlier".

This is not true, current state is that on all platform repos except resources I have to keep dozens of tabs open in browser and regularly poll what is going on with which PR.
I get a massive spam on issues/PR's I'm not interested in, but don't get a simple notification on PR's I'm working on. Insane.
Switching to a different workstation / notebook (e.g. from Linux to Windows) and I miss everything - I have to remember what PR was requiring my attention. That is a constant pain, especially because github fails to provide even basic functionality available in gerrit - list of PR's I'm working on or where my review is requested or where I've commented something.

So having at least proper mail notifications on PR build status would be really useful.

Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих

https://www.eclipse.org/user/aloskutov

Back to the top