[eclipse-dev] Termination after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc' when hovering over source code eclipse 4.16 4.17. ubuntu 20.04

Hi @list,
I don't know if this is the right spot for asking this question/
reporting this issue but if not maybe one of the subscribers could point
me to the correct list/issuetracker/board.

I recently got crashes with an application built on the Eclipse Platform
when hovering over method signatures of (Java/Xtend) source code.
This previously was no issue, and the application itself was not
updated. The only log output I Cculd get when Eclipse crashes is:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc

In search for the root of this issue I tried different Openjdk versions
Openjdk 11 up to 17. Because i thought the issue may lay within the JVM
itself.  No change.

Then I started to check if the newest Eclipse Java IDE is having this
issue still. The latest version did not show the crash but instead
behaves normal.

I found that the issue is resolved since version 4.18. Prior versions (I
only tested 4.16, 4.17) still crashed with before mentioned exception
when hovering over source code.

Now my question:
Is there any way to dig deeper and find the source of the crash?
I feel the issue is somehow connected to ubuntus package updates (I am
running a plain vanilla ubuntu 20.04lts on latest patchlevel).

Is there any way to get the fix (which seems to be integrated in 4.18)
for this issue "backported" to 4.16 ( since we are running an eclipse
product which currently depends on version 4.16)?

For any more information I'll be very grateful. If you need more
information I'll happily provide them for you.

Thanks in advance

Hendrik

Hendrik Grewe                           Chair for Programming Systems
Department of Computer Science                 TU Dortmund University

Public PGP-Key                          https://mypgpkey.b4ckbone.org
PGP-Fingerprint     B8D6 0D8C F5A9 410A 8077 66AE CF08 65D2 0A09 6F7B

PGP-encrypted mails are welcome!