Re: [eclipse-dev] Platform tips and tricks wiki created

On Monday, June 11, 2018, Wim Jongman <wim.jongman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I suggest we replace the wiki page by a documentation about how to contribute to this list, and create a dedicated TipProvider that reads this list directly to present it in the Tip of the Day dialog (with other tip providers).

The strategy is to do it the other way around.. Editing wiki pages is really easy, literally everybody can compile a tip in one or two minutes. It is also a very easy source for a TipProvider. Periodically we can harvest the wiki and move the evergreens to the "Tips and Tricks" html page.

I strongly disagree. The wiki is not an aryifact managed by the project and relying on it is not really safe as there is not much to prevent anyone to put faulty content in it. It's not guaranteed to be as up-to-date as documentation nor of sufficient quality.
It's important that thos tips become real artifacts managed by the project, otherwise I think it's not suitable for the SDK.
We must not only make things simple, but also keep high quality relying on consistent processes. Wiki doesn't meet those criteria IMHO.
Instead, for simplicity, we may discuss putting the documentation repo on GitHub and using PRs.

Cheers

--
Mickael Istria