Re: [eclipse-dev] [ide-dev] Development Process was Re: Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ | Java Code Geeks

Now, I will move this back to eclipse dev because I think this is an important discussion for all projects. And Konstantin, please don't think that argumentative stuff below is aimed at you.. You've just given me the excuse to rant a bit about something I've felt like saying for quite a while now. :)

"This is making an assumption that all changes are reviewed, which doesn't
> hold universally. I know that some projects operate that way, but many only
> review contributor changes."

I was reading you to mean that "only review contributor changes" *but don't review non-contributors* (whatever that would have meant), but what you meant was "not all committer changes are reviewed". I know my assumption is wrong, but I guess I was thinking that projects would be migrating away from not reviewing committer changes. Because that is the only sensible and fair thing to do, even if we don't all realize it yet.. :)

> If you are saying that you are troubled that not everyone is using Gerrit or
> reviewing all changes, then that's a completely separate development process
> discussion that will just derail this thread. It would be sufficient to
> recognize that all projects do not use the same development process.

It won't derail the thread, it was the entire point of this thread! :D How we handle process of committers and reviews is critical to how well we handle the innovation challenges that Eclipse is facing right now. And we're doing it wrong a lot of time. Every Eclipse project could improve radically in terms of how we respond to "outsiders" contributions.

If we see Gerrit as a neat new tool to prevent outside contributors from wrecking our (perceived good) quality  -- some kind of gateway -- then that's an *abuse* of Gerrit. The unmistakeable message is "we think your code probably stinks, and we know that our code never does." It means that we aren't even willing to play by the same set of rules. We'd all like to think that this is all in the service of protecting the quality of our precious toolsets, but it's not. To assume that because we've been working on a project for a long-time that somehow we're not going to make the same kind of mistakes that other seasoned developers would is simply arrogant. Sure you have to learn the idioms and the APIs, etc.. and it can be a PITA to work w/ someone who isn't familiar w/ them, and yes, I understand that it's a real problem to have to deal with contributions that just aren't up to snuff or that don't fit in with development priorities or that create new maintenance burdens for the project -- but if we aren't willing to put effort into that, what exactly is it that makes us a community?

We keep talking about having to have a level of trust to allow anyone to get anywhere near our code, but we never think about the trust that *we* have to create for users that their contributions will actually get somewhere. I'm sorry, but I think it's time to say it -- we have a culture of arrogance at Eclipse. It's almost like some kind of primitive guild system we've built ourselves. Like working at a law firm or something -- "we jumped through these hoops, now it's your turn." The process becomes its own reward.

So to bring it back to the question at hand, why would a company want to invest in that effort knowing that there is a good chance that their contributions would be ignored? IMO, we need to level the playing field and evolve toward having all projects commit to having the resources to do reviews of outside work just as we expect them to do bug triage, release train maintenance, etc.. and above all to follow the same basic review process, committer or not.

-Miles