Re: [eclipse-dev] Releng retrospective ...

> I have a number of questions based on your document and wasn't
> sure where to post them, so I'll send them off here.

"Here" is not a bad choice, but in general let's say to use the "talk page" (marked "Discussion" on the wiki tab) then all such questions "stay with" the document in an easy-to-find way (non-committers will need only a "bugzilla account" to post there).

> it was recommended that Platform "move some things around" for the repository structure.
> What was/is the recommended layout for the repository? [and] Then continued on to
> casually mention refactoring repositories. Is the thought/implication that repositories
> (in general) should be more aligned/segmented by feature groups?

We never got to the point of discussing many details. I mentioned the features as sort of a "worst case" measurement but by no means do you have to have one feature per repository. You simply need "architecturally consistent collections" in your repository ... where everything in the repo can be compiled, only by using other things from that repo (and of course, the "results" from similarly consistent "lower level" repositories). This is a little hard in some cases at Eclipse Project, where there is a correspondence of "committership" to "repository" and in some cases (at least in Eclipse Platform history), some "committer groups" were intentionally formed by "like minded interests" instead of "what compiled together". There's also recommended "test bundle" structure, which I don't know off the top of my head, but think is well documented in Maven books/blogs, which help allow "test while you build".

If you really want "expertise", I'd encourage you to ask questions on the tycho-user mailing list.

Hope my brief answers help,