Re: [eclipse-dev] post-Juno branching and auto-tagging - open releng bug

This was briefly discussed in status call and I was reminded that committers in Eclipse can not create maintenance branches at will, that it takes shell access to allow our git repository to accept such a branch, so the conclusion was that when component teams want to create a maintenance branch, open a releng bug with details, and we (me, John, or Paul, most likely) will create the branch AND update the repositories.txt files.

Thanks,

From:        David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Date:        06/27/2012 11:42 AM
Subject:        [eclipse-dev] post-Juno branching and auto-tagging
Sent by:        eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Potential discussion topic for status/planning/architecture call.

Wanted to give a quick summary of our branches, and what component teams need to do as they branch (or not).

map project branches:

master: used for Kepler (4.3) I builds and N builds. Few teams (only swt?) need to touch anything here. Its repositories.txt file uses 'master' or 'integration' for (nearly) all projects to enabled auto detection of changes and auto-tagging.

R3_8_maintenance (3.8.1) R4_2_maintenance (4.2.1): the repositories.txt files here will need attention, at some point, only one time. Many of the repository lines have been "commented out", meaning
a) assumed no maintenance branches yet and
b) what is used for builds is exactly what was used in the respective release (3.8 or 4.2).

*** One time action required: As teams begin maintenance, and make a branch, they will need to edit these repositories.txt file files so their new branches are listed to be used in the maintenance builds.

Example snippet from repositories.txt in R4_2_maintenance branch

git
://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/equinox/rt.equinox.incubator.git R3_8_maintenance
git
://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/equinox/rt.equinox.p2.git R3_8_maintenance
#
git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/jdt/eclipse.jdt.core.binaries.git R3_8
#
git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/jdt/eclipse.jdt.core.git R3_8
#
git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/jdt/eclipse.jdt.debug.git R3_8
#
git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/jdt/eclipse.jdt.git R3_8

This (snippet) means that two projects rt.equinox.incubation and rt.equinox.p2 have maintenance work in R3_8_maintenance, so those are auto tagged.

Other projects, commented out, such as eclipse.jdt.core does not have maintenance work yet, so what's used is in build, is what was used in the 4.2 map files.

Once, say eclipse.jdt.core begins maintenance for 4.2.1 (if any) they will need to create their branch, according to their project's conventions, and put that in place of the tag. (here, the tag is R3_8, which does not have any particular meaning ... was just one attempt to address the "no branches yet" issue before deciding to comment out repositories with no branches).

Feel free to open a bug in releng if you want help or review when you update this repositories.txt file.

Suggestions/clarifications/improvements welcome.