[eclipse-dev] Fw: [platform-ui-dev] All Day Test Pass for 3.6 RC1: Monday, May 17th

I sent this note out to platform-ui-dev this morning, and then Dani ping'ed me to say that it really applies to everyone. I agree completely. This kind of stress testing is something we should all be doing. The examples below are obvious starting points for the UI team, feel free to use them too, but by all means use your own deep knowledge of Eclipse to try to "hurt" it in as many ways as you can.

McQ.

----- Forwarded by Mike Wilson/Ottawa/IBM on 2010/05/17 10:40 AM -----

Mike Wilson/Ottawa/IBM

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

2010/05/17 10:27 AM

Re: [platform-ui-dev] All Day Test Pass for 3.6 RC1: Monday, May 17th

re "test eclipse on the various platforms" --
Please remember that the purpose of this testing is to make sure *everything* works. It isn't enough to just run an Eclipse on a particular platform and then "do what you always do". Examples of the kinds of things you should be doing include:

- Try operations you don't usually use (both by picking them from the menus and using the matching key sequences)
- Start multiple operations at once, then try to stop individual ones, or close Eclipse while they are running, or...
- Change the layouts of the view and editors
- Open every view in a single perspective
- Tear off views and make sure they still work
- Try editing stupidly large files
- ...

I'm sure you can think of many more things than I have, but basically the task is to make Eclipse *hurt*, and prove that it can stand the punishment.

McQ.

Inactive hide details for Paul Webster ---2010/05/17 05:58:50 AM---Just a reminder that Monday is the 3.6 RC1 test day.Paul Webster ---2010/05/17 05:58:50 AM---Just a reminder that Monday is the 3.6 RC1 test day.

Paul Webster <pwebster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

2010/05/17 05:58 AM

[platform-ui-dev] All Day Test Pass for 3.6 RC1: Monday, May 17th

Just a reminder that Monday is the 3.6 RC1 test day.

We need to verify all of our bugs (search query on the wiki) and test
eclipse on the various platforms.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_UI/Testing

We test on the declared RC1 build.

RC2 schedule: