Re: [eclipse-dev] Eclipse Project 4.0 Release

Am 29.04.2010 22:43, schrieb John Arthorne:

> To Brian, it may be a subtle distinction but we are not talking about
> "Eclipse 4.0". Eclipse is made up of 50+ projects, of which the platform
> is only one. So, "Eclipse 4.0" makes as much sense as "Apache 4.0", and
> calling it that will surely disappoint the 80%+ of end users who download
> something other than the "Eclipse Classic" download that our single
> project produces. I realize the distinction between "Eclipse Project" and
> "Eclipse Foundation" is lost on most of the user community but I'm not
> sure what we can do about that.

Not call it "Eclipse". Call it "e4". This "Eclipse Platform", "Eclipse
Project", stuff is just too foggy to sell. Give the platform a distinct
name so people know that it isn't "Eclipse Platform + JDT".

When someone says "Apache 4.0" to me, I immediately think "web server".
I don't think of Apache as a company, a development team or an
institution with a lot of projects. I'm using Maven, not Apache Maven. I
use Tomcat, not Apache Tomcat. And I use Eclipse. Now you figure out
what that means.

Regards,

http://blog.pdark.de/

Back to the top