[eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Post-Notes - Feb 10, 2010

We discussed how to handle bundle version numbers in maintenance streams, if changes happen on such a stream after the last planned release. For example, a fix might be released to R3_5_maintenance after the 3.5.2 release. In these cases, we ask that the service segment (third digit) be incremented once, as if development was progressing towards another release on the maintenance branch. So for example, if a bundle had a version number 2.6.3 in the Eclipse SDK 3.5.2 release, and a bugfix for that bundle got released in R3_5_maintenance, the bundle version number should be increased to 2.6.4 once. For subsequent changes, only the qualifier (fourth segment) should change, and it is important to ensure that the qualifier (CVS tag) used increases alphabetically.

If teams had different development practices, they should keep these for older maintenance streams, but follow this recommended practice once 3.5.2 has been released. We do ask though that the service segment be increased at least once in older maintenance streams, for new bug fixes (i.e. not retroactively). So for example, if you haven't increased the service segment of a bundle in R3_4_maintenance, you should increase it at the time of the next fix that gets released to that stream.

Boris

Back to the top