Re: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Oct 1, 2008

Another discussion topic

Performance tests in the 3.5 stream. The new performance machines have identical hardware configurations. Two machines are currently installed with Windows XP,  and two with RHEL 5.  Thus the performance configurations from 3.4.x don't make sense (slow versus fast machines).   Frédéric has suggested that we configure two machines with Windows XP jdk 1.6 and and two with Linux RHEL5 jdk 1.6 to help improve the reliability of results.

Kim

Mike Wilson/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/01/2008 09:45 AM

Please respond to
"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."        <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Oct 1, 2008

-----------------------

Discussion Topic
-----------------------

JDT
- lots of compile warnings in build results due to new "The method xyz is
overriding a synchronized method without being synchronized":
- do we want this warning to be raised or should we disable it again?
- if we leave it, can we agree that components go and fix it for the next I-build?

--------
Status
--------

JDT APT:
- inbox, newsgroups, Bugzilla, conf calls

- implement some missing JSR269 APIs (bugs 240264, 246089, 248156)

Platform UI:
- added API to StyledString that allows to insert characters (needed for Bidi)

JDT UI:
- added colored label support when running in Bidi mode
- backported some fixes to 3.4.2
- bug fixing
- inbox tracking

Platform Text and JDT Text:
- fixed indentation bug when typing switch-statement
- resolved conflict between rename refactoring and clean up on save
- commented on new JDT Core API to set a threshold on code assist
- backported some fixes to 3.4.2
- bug fixing
- inbox tracking

Platform Search:
- added test suite to build
- inbox tracking

Debug:
- released support to allow multiple debuggers to create breakpoints in the same editor
- enhanced runtime classpath to support "../.." from Java project build paths (bug 248466)
- bug fixing

JDT/Core:
- proposed NamingConventions improvement
- added support for ".." in classpath entries
- memory optimization in compiler
- started work for finding constant references in .class files with source attached
- started work on adding a code assist timeout
- backported fixes to 3.4 maintenance
- inbox tracking
- bug fixing

PDE:
- continued work on plug-in export and install into running SDK via p2
- investigating enhancements to API tools model (caching, consolidating, etc).
- working on Execution Environment Service for extensible OSGi system profiles
- work on sorting plug-ins for compilation across feature boundaries (bug 212467)
- bug fixing

Rel. Eng.:
- test builds for new search and p2 tests
- site.xml and digest are no longer generated in the 3.5 build, p2 doesn't need them
- 3.4.2 builds start this Wednesday
- two new perf windows perf machines are in lab, waiting for security checks so remaining
linux machines can be deployed
- bug fixing

Workspace:
- inbox tracking
- working on items from the 3.5 M3 plan:
-
http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/platform-team/team3.5/plan.php#m3
- bug fixing