Re: [eclipse-dev] New API tooling tags

I like having a human-readable text description next to the tag.  This may seem redundant if you understand the meaning of these tags, but these are not standard javadoc tags and we can't assume users browsing the source will understand exactly what they mean.

Markus Keller <markus_keller@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

04/03/2008 09:12 AM

Please respond to
"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."        <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-dev] New API tooling tags

Redundancy in code is evil.

I would only keep the old comments if they add more information than the
API tools tags can express.
Otherwise, add the API tools tag(s), but *without* additional description.

If we fear that the API tools tags are not self-explanatory, we could add
some tooling
support (e.g. to expand them into the full blurb for Javadoc export and in
hovers).

Markus

Martin Aeschlimann/Zurich/IBM@IBMCH
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
2008-04-03 14:53
Please respond to
"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."
<eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [eclipse-dev] New API tooling tags

We would rather keep the old comments. First it's a lot of work to do it.
Second, most comment contain extra information which sometimes can't be
expressed by the new tags.

* <p>
* Note: this: class is not intended to be extended outside of the
refactoring framework.
* </p>

* <p>>
* This class should be subclassed by clients wishing to provide a special
move
* processor.
* </p>

Thoughts?.