Re: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Mar 12, 2008

Performance:
- 3.4 tests results verification:
  - No results on yesterday's integration build :-(
  - Wrong green icons for some results over -10% in Status table
  - All tests of I20080305-1100 vs 20080215-1600 :
    - 4 bugs opened: JDT/Core(1), JDT/Debug(2), JDT/Text(1), JDT/UI(1)

Cordialement/Regards,

Frédéric

             Mike Wilson
             <Mike_Wilson@ca.i
             bm.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             eclipse-dev-bounc                                          cc
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting
             03/12/2008 02:27          Notes - Mar 12, 2008
             PM

             Please respond to
                 "General
                development
              mailing list of
                the Eclipse
                 project."
             <eclipse-dev@ecli
                 pse.org>

------------------
 Discussion Topic
------------------

Rel. Eng.:
- Build times. You have probably noticed that the builds and the associated
test
  results are take a very long time.  The reason are as follows:

  1) Today we are including more bundles (305) than 3.3.2 (255).  The
non-Orbit
     bundles in the SDK all must be checked out from CVS, built, signed and
     packaged. The more bundles, the more time this takes.
  2) There are more tests (6 new test plugins).
  3) We have the same build and testing hardware.
  4) More teams are signing there jars at eclipse.org which can lead to
occasional
     line ups at the signing queue.  However, the webmaster has implemented
     second queue last week, which should reduce waiting times.
  5) There are additional steps to generate p2 metadata for the SDK.

  Given these constraints, I would suggest starting our nighly builds
earlier such
  as 8pm EST.  Otherwise, our test results are not available until 10 or 11
EST
  each morning which isn't optimal.  Perhaps we could start our integration
builds
  earlier too.

--------
 Status
--------

Rel. Eng.:
- many test builds for p2 integration
- working through build integration issues with PDE Build and Equinox
committers
- added equinox security bundles to build
- bug fixing

Debug:
- EclipseCon preparation
- bug fixing & triage

PDE:
- EclipseCon preparation
- started work on API leak detection (leaking internal types into API
types)
- continued restructuring API problem implementation to support
filters/standard
  way to externalize
- working on Ant tasks for rel-eng build integration for API
use/compatibility
  reports
- support for core style extensions in the schema "identifier" attribute
type
- discouraged access warnings for extensions that reference internal
classes
  (from other plug-ins)
- p2 sdk fixes
- bug fixing & triage

Equinox:
- Equinox Security bundles are now in the build... give 'em a try!:
  - JAAS login framework and be using in OSGi bundles
  - secure storage to keep your passwords in
- p2:
  - now integrated into the SDK
  - p2'ized builds are now the default downloads for the win32, linux and
    macosx SDK
  - working on getting the SDK tests running on p2
  - refining support for dropins
  - integration of SAT4J
  - repository change events
  - support for refreshing repositories
- bug triage
- bug fixing
- EclipseCon preparation

JDT Core:
- released compiler option for unnecessary unchecked exceptions to limited
  Throwable and Exception
- released extended completion context (give Java elements with not yet
  consistent working copy, and give assignable elements)
- investigating performance degradation in code assist
- started work on reporting annotation in search matches
- EclipseCon preparation
- concurrent compiler will parallelize IO only
- work with Platform on refreshing external library folders
- investigating race condition in set classpath operation
- bug fixing

Platform Text and JDT Text:
- new design from graphic designer for bread crumbs view
- improving navigation on bread crumbs view
- allow editor templates to specify the insertion location (statements,
members)
- colors for code assist proposals
- show more than one hyperlink per modifier key

JDT UI:
- 'concatenate string' quick assist now supports MessageFormat
- work on reporting affected binaries in refactorings
- colored labels bow use the colors and preference of platform.ui
- API work
- bug fixing

UA:
- bug fixing and testing

Workspace:
- inbox tracking
- bug fixing for M6
- system values in proxy (bug 180921) in progress
- EclipseCon preparation