RE: [eclipse-dev] How much effort has gone into developing Equinox

It turns out a number of people want me to respond to this list.   Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.

There seems to be two questions: 1) estimate on number of deployments, and 2) effort to build Equinox.  Unfortunately there is not a perfect answer for either.   However I can suggest some resources or links.

For number of deployments there are a couple of research reports that talk about RCP adoption.   These reports are listed on the Eclipse wiki but here are the links.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/d/d4/Eclipse_Adoption_Study_2006_Full_Version.pdf

http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/0/05/Eclipse_Custom_Survey_8_24_06_Public_Version.pdf

For the effort to build Equinox, one way of looking at it is based on stats generated from a site called Ohloh.   This site uses a formula based on loc and contributors.   I admit this can lead to bogus results but it is a start.  The other thing with Ohloh is that the LOC of the Eclipse Project is high at 6+ million, my understanding is a more realistic number is approx. 3 million or say 1000 person years.   The Ohloh numbers for Equinox seem low at 61K and 15 person years.   I am sure Jeff and team have been working a lot harder than that.   J  Also remember, that Equinox is a small runtime.   Most people use a lot of the frameworks that are included on top of Equinox.

Not sure if this helps?

Ian