Re: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Feb 7, 2007

Regarding the question about whether removing Tomcat is a breaking change. I would think that RCP apps would be the most affected. Any RCP app that uses the help system will have to change the list of plugins that get linked in and this is true even if we leave Tomcat around.  It might be better to remove Tomcat so that RCP apps will end up doing the right thing and remove their dependency to org.eclipse.tomcat which they are presumably no longer using (although who knows what someone might do in their RCP app).

Chris

Mike Wilson <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/06/2007 03:32 PM

Please respond to
"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."        <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Feb 7, 2007

------------------

Discussion Topic

------------------

Runtime:

- We are in the process of moving Help to run on Jetty rather

 than Tomcat. When this is done, (immediately after M5) we

 would like to remove Tomcat from the builds. Is this a

 breaking change?

Platform/JDT Text:

- we should disable discouraged access warnings for test projects

 (just too many) and adding them as friends "pollutes" the SDK drop

- PMC approval for API additions or just for changes to existing API

 added so far?

 - how many PMC votes are needed?

--------

Status
--------

JDT APT team:
- trying to get JSR269 code and tests ready to put into releng build
- work with JDT team on interface to jdt.core

Platform UI:

- status handling:

 - API polish

 - error dialogs

- commands:

 - api work

 - conversion of workbench contributions to commands

- 3.3 presentation:

 - tab improvments

 - trim work

 - editor management improvements

- splash:

 - bug fixing

 - integration into IDE

- RCP:

 - ide/ ide.application split

- editors:

 - background editor save

- progress:

 - reduced use of bold

- encoding support:

 - bug fixes

Equinox:

- getting ready for M5

- continued work on launcher bugs and integration with pde
- api tooling - first cut available in the pde incubator

- Simon says...hello! (new team member, Simon started this week)

- initial FrameworkAdmin code committed to equinox incubator

- discussions surrounding linked resources

- continued working through final details of OSGi R4.1 framework

 implementation

- M6 planning

- EclipseCon preparation

- bug triage and fixing

PDE/Build:

- multiple version support for map files

- new GET fetch factory

- modified CVS fetch map file entry format to allow for future

 expansion

- modified RelEng tools to handle new format

Debug:

- EclipseCon tutorial preparation

- contextual launch

- experimenting with displaying "all references" in-line in the

 variables view (J2SE6)

- reviewing "pin & clone" contribution (bug 145635)

- 3.2.2 bug fixes

- bug fixing

Platform/JDT Text:

- finalized APIs introduced during 3.3

- created an RCP prototype that depends on org.eclipse.ui.ide which

 allows to use the default text editor. Filed bugs for missing pieces.

- continued to look into opening up file buffers for URIs

- provided patches to Platform UI that fix two navigation history issues

- bug fixing

- inbox tracking

JDT UI:

- worked on issues in Open Type dialog using FilteredItemsSelectionDialog

- reverted Open Type dialog to M4 implementation until Platform support

 is more stable

- added UI for deprecated and read-only classpath variables:

 - added quick fix for projects using deprecated JUnit classpath variable

- splitted up comment  formatting by comment type

- M5 testing

- vacation

Workspace:

- flat presentation added to model-based Synchrponizations

- apply Patch API improvements

- build-up to M5 and M5 test pass

User Assistance:

- minor tweaks in preparation for M5

- finialized APIs for dynamic content providers

- bug fixes

PDE:

- finished use directive calculations

- added support for analyzing dependencies when creating plug-ins

 from an existing JAR

- extensible shortcut links in the manifest editor (allows ISVs to

 provide their own launchers on the Overview page)

- wrapping up the editor enhancements (taking advantage of the new

 Forms enhancements)

- added field validation to a number of PDE editors (taking

 advantage of the message management)

- added update site target provisioner

- added the copying of the VM args to the launching VM args

- preparation for M5

- bug fixing

Update:

- minor fixes

Rel. Eng.:

- build lab verification after router upgrades

- reworking much of the test framework to accomodate the launcher

 reorg and make it much more streamlined

- significant M5 build lab angst

- Eclipse build is now consuming three Orbit bundles; we'll consume

 many more post M5

- bug fixing