Re: [eclipse-dev] Specifying Execution Environments

When I did this for the Team plugins (whcih depend on 1.4), my JDT preferences changed. Specifically, the use of assert and enum identifiers was changed from ERROR (which I had set explicitly previously to avoid problems in the future when we move to 1.5) to WARNING. It seems odd that the tool would downgrade those for me since I had explicitly set them to error. No harm done since I just won't release the preference changes but I though it would be worthwhile mentioning in case others have done a similar thing.

Michael

DJ Houghton/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/09/2006 10:40 AM

Please respond to
"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."

eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[eclipse-dev] Specifying Execution Environments

As per the Eclipse 3.2 plan, all bundles in the SDK must declare their
required execution environment and set the appropriate properties in their
bundle manifest. Starting soon the Release Engineering team will keep
people honest by using, for instance, Foundation class libraries to compile
bundles who specify they require only a Foundation VM.

We have been working with the plug-ins who specify an EE of Foundation 1.0
and they are now all updated in the builds. Now we are asking the rest of
the plug-in owners to ensure that the execution environment listed in the
Eclipse 3.2 plan matches the one which is specified in their bundle
manifest.

The steps to update your bundle's Execution Environment are:
- Open the manifest in the Plug-in Manifest Editor
- go to the Overview tab
- in the Execution Environment section, select "Add..."
- select the correct entry(s) (see the plan link below) and hit OK
- click on the link below the table: "Update classpath and the compiler
compliance settings"
- wait for the project to compile and ensure there are no problems
- release your changes

For more Information and an  FAQ on Execution Environments check out:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Execution_Environments

Execution Environment table from the Eclipse 3.2 plan:
http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/eclipse_project_plan_3_2.html#Appendix1

Discussions surrounding EEs should be held on the eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
mailing list.

Thanks.