Re: [eclipse-dev] Best practices for provisional APIs

There is a third type.  Code that is not intended to be used by others at all.  That is the intended/historical meaning of "internal".  As such, marking things internal with no indication that they are candidates for being API may scare them off too much.  Often what we need for these provisional API to become real is user involvement.  The data bindings are a good example.  The UI team did not feel confident in the current shape but yet would like people to look at the API and, to the extent that they are willing to be broken going forward, use them and give feedback.   To facilitate this, we need to communicate to them, which classes/methods are candidates.  This also plays on Pascal's question about how to encourage people to give that feedback. To facilitate that, it might be useful to mention giving feedback as a sign to users that we are interested in their input.  Giving a location for that feedback would be useful.

As for package naming, I have never been a fan of *.internal.provisional.*.  One or the other should be enough.  I would however encourage people to put their provisional API classes together by domain in packages.  That is, package it as if it were API so that people can understand the shape.

As for Javadoc, we have long had a standard template for marking things experimental/provisional.  We should continue using that form (potentially with a feedback statement) unless there are issues with it.

Jeff

Mike Wilson/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/17/2006 09:01 AM

Please respond to
"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."

cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-dev] Best practices for provisional APIs

I find the notion of provisional api to be basically just an oximoron. We should have only two categories: API, and things that are internal because they haven't yet stabilized/been validated enough to be API.

McQ.

Pascal Rapicault/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/17/06 08:44

Please respond to
"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."

eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[eclipse-dev] Best practices for provisional APIs

Hi,

Should we adopt a consistent way to indicate provisional APIs across the SDK?

More specifically I'm wondering what are the rules for

- the package name. should the API be in the package where it would belong if it was real API, or should it be in an internal package?

- the javadoc markup. should the javadoc say: experimental, provisional, something else?

Aside from those questions, I propose to add to the javadoc an explicit request for feedback from the users and explaining where this feedback should be given (a mailing-list, a bug report, ...)

PaScaL