RE: [eclipse-dev] Is there any interest in a committers forum?

It's currently true that there is no general forum for Eclipse committers across all Eclipse projects.  However the current convention, for whatever reason, is that Eclipse mailing lists are for committers while newsgroups are for the entire community.  Thus, I will risk reopening the "mailing list vs. newsgroup" debate by suggesting that a mailing list makes more sense than a newsgroup for this kind of forum.

According to the mailing lists page, eclipse-dev is for the platform project, which as Randy pointed out isn't particularly intuitive.  I would suggest moving eclipse-dev to the "Eclipse General" category on the mailing lists page, officially making it a forum for committers on all projects.  There is already a platform-dev mailing list for communication among committers on the platform project, although it is currently unused by committers because it is overwhelmed by user questions.  Moderating that list in the same way eclipse-dev is moderated would be needed to make that list useful again (only moderating non-committer messages).

In short, I already think we have enough committer mailing lists, but we could tweak their stated audiences to make much better use of the ones we already have. Having said all that, I won't vote "-1" on a committer newsgroup, if there are people who prefer that format who would make use of it.

John

"Mike Milinkovich" <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

20/09/2005 05:36 PM

Please respond to
mike.milinkovich and "General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."

cc
Subject
RE: [eclipse-dev] Is there any interest in a committers forum?

Before we go ahead and do this, I would like to take a straw poll to see if committers actually want such a committer newsgroup. I would personally welcome such a forum, but I think it's worthwhile to ensure it will get used.

If we get three +1's and no -1's, we will go ahead and set it up.

 <snip>

It sounds like the consensus is that eclipse.org should consider opening an 'eclipse.committers' newsgroup, and if they do that then EclipseZone will mirror it to a forum for web-based access.