Re: [eclipse-dev] Is there any interest in a committers forum?

As an outsider that tries to keep an eye on Eclipse development activities, I would be disappointed to see these types of discussions become private. Although I'm sure that there are many discussions that are already private, there is so much to be learned from the committers on the Eclipse project. Being able to "lurk" and learn is helpful for me at least. Making it read-only to the public would be fine by me, but please don't remove the visibility altogether.

Thanks,
Craig

Mike Milinkovich wrote:

I agree that Ed is on to something. I suspect that in the future there will be a greater need for cross-project co-ordination and discussion.

If Eclipse's committers want the Foundation to create such a newsgroup, I am volunteering Denis and Matt to figure out a way to make it happen. What I do not understand is the desired visibility for such a newsgroup. Is it public or private? Should it be writable only by committers, but readable by all? Depending on what is desired, the task of making it happen varies somewhere between trivial and indeterminate.

I don't want to take away from Ed and EclipseZone's kind offer. But it seems to me that the needs of the committer community should be dealt with at eclipse.org. The whole point of the Foundation is to support the needs of its members, which most definitely includes its committers. We haven't made as much visible progress as I want, but we're definitely working hard to make things better.

/mike

Back to the top