RE: [eclipse-dev] Is there any interest in a committers forum?

I think you're on to something useful. There is definitely a lack of coordination in areas such as build, testing, and performance, which is something all project teams could collaborate on.
However, this mailing list is for the "Eclipse Project", which as the name implies (tongue-in-cheek) is just the core SDK and not all Eclipse projects/committers.
BTW, why aren't GEF and other projects shown on the eclipsezone forum?  Is Eclipsezone part of Eclipse.org now, or am I thinking of something else?

Randy

"Ed Burnette" <Ed.Burnette@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/15/2005 12:42 PM

Please respond to
"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."

cc
Subject
RE: [eclipse-dev] Is there any interest in a committers forum?

My thinking was that people were almost afraid to post to the main eclipse.org committer forum (this list) because it goes out to so many (1000+) people. My worry is that committers can become siloed into their own project-dev forums or user forums and lose opportunities to collaborate and discover common goals and interests.

But in any case, the previous proposal is voted down.

New proposal: Same as before except gate it (2-way) to the eclipse-dev moderated mailing list (this list).

The value add would be that you could read and post in a threaded web-based view that supports attachments, watches, profiles, and RSS/Atom. See http://www.eclipsezone.com/java/forums/f18122.html for an example of what it would look like. That particular forum is gated to the user newsgroup eclipse.platform. (btw, http://www.eclipsezone.com/java/forums/c5605.html shows all the newsgroups currently gated (with Foundation approval); we're adding more on demand so send me an email if you want to use one that's not there).