Re: [eclipse-dev] Fragments and extensions

Walter,

Why are you using fragments? Fragments were originally design for delivering NL data, and also for supplying platform-specific code related to the referenced plug-in. Can your goal be fulfilled by turning  A and B into plug-in that REQUIRE org.eclipse.jdt.core and org.eclipse.jdt.core.tests.compiler, respectively?

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
D1/R0Q/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4850

"Walter Harley" <wharley@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/02/2005 08:12 PM

Please respond to
eclipse-dev

<eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[eclipse-dev] Fragments and extensions

I am trying to work on two fragments at once.

Fragment "A" has as its parent org.eclipse.jdt.core.
Fragment "B" contains test code to test fragment A, and has as its
parent org.eclipse.jdt.core.tests.compiler.

I would like fragment A to expose an extension point
"org.eclipse.jdt.core.foo"; and I would like fragment B to contribute to
that extension point.

Fragment A builds fine.  However, I am getting a build error when I try
to build fragment B; it is complaining that the extension point
(org.eclipse.jdt.core.foo) does not exist.

It may just be something stupid I'm doing; I'm a newbie.  But I wonder
if the problem is that, until I actually deploy fragment A, the B
project can't see the new extension point?  In other words, *should*
this be working, or am I asking too much?  What is the right way to test
an extension point exposed in a fragment??

Thanks!
 Walter Harley
 BEA Systems Inc.