Re: [eclipse-dev] Coordination of efforts

The note I sent was to trigger exactly these kinds of responses. I will
take a look at the browser and get back to you.

Along the lines of Jean-Michel's note, we may need to make some
modifications to add missing function and/or make it more flexible (i.e.
having a browser part, then host it both in an editor and a view).

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
D1/R0Q/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4850

             David M Williams
             <david_williams@u
             s.ibm.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             eclipse-dev-admin                                          cc
             @eclipse.org              Timothy Deboer/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA,
                                       Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
                                                                   Subject
             12/09/2004 01:21          Re: [eclipse-dev] Coordination of
             PM                        efforts

             Please respond to
                eclipse-dev

Dejan, even though you restricted your question to the Eclipse platform
team ... I'll answer anyway :)

Sounds like an opportunity to consider moving the WTP webbrowser to a lower
level ... I think it has exactly what you need.

The code is in.

/home/webtools
wst/components/internet/plugins/org.eclipse.wst.internet.webbrowser

As you say, no sense duplicating code or effort.

Tim is "component owner" and could answer any specific questions.

David

 Dejan Glozic <dejan@xxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent by:
 eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx                                          To
                                                 eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                        cc
 12/09/2004 12:47 PM
                                                                   Subject
                                                 [eclipse-dev]
          Please respond to                      Coordination of efforts
             eclipse-dev

A question for the Eclipse platform team:

The User Assistance team will need to create an embedded web browser for
the benefit of showing help documents 'in place' (as part of an effort to
bring user assistance closer to where the user is). Essentially all we want
is to show an arbitrary URL. I am sure there are other Eclipse teams that
would benefit from the same functionality. Are there plans to provide
standard 'show this URL' capability somewhere in the workbench so that we
don't need to do this?

A rough list of expected behavior:

- A standard action set of 'Back/Next/Stop/Refresh' actions
- A way to configure the feature to reuse the same browser (if open) or
create a new instance for each document
- A way to catch the browser widget exception and open the external
(standalone) browser if the internal fails