Re: [eclipse-dev] [ANN] Bugzilla Plug-in

David,

These are not things that we have discussed yet, mainly because we provide the CVS integration and not the Java tooling. Adding a comment to a bug report about what files were included in the fix (and their revisions) for a bug would be fairly easy and is something we have considered. This should be enough to determine what has changed since the actually code changed can be determined by comparing with the previous revision.

Adding markup to code to point to bug reports is interesting. We have toyed around with linking comments to bugs using pattern matching and hyperlinks. A similar technique could be used in a code editor but the code editor would need to support the ability to plugin in pattern matchers. I wouldn't be surprised if JDT supported this in some manner but I don't know enough about it to say for sure. Perhaps someone in JDT can comment on whether this is possible.

Also, putting bug numbers in comments and using a patten matcher as I describe above may also make your first request possible since we could run a CVS annotate to get the comment and then potentially link that to a bug report. Definitely something to consider.

Michael

David Whiteman <dlwhiteman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/11/2004 01:54 PM

Please respond to
eclipse-dev

eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject

Thursday, November 11, 2004, 1:16:27 PM, Jean-Michel Lemieux wrote:

> BugList is GPL - means that I can't use it
> Jagzilla - needs access to the bugzilla MySQL server (e.g. install custom
> software)

> Our variant is a CPL'd bugzilla plug-in that doesn't require installing
> software
> on the server. The UI approach is different as well, we have made it easy
> organize bugs/queries so that you can track them easily in the IDE. The
> next
> steps are going to be tight integration with CVS.

> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel

I would like to see tight integration between the bugs view and the
source code, both ways.  I could click on a bug and add a comment or
custom tag that indicates the bug associated with a particular section
of code.  Likewise, I'd like to be able to, from the source code, open
the bug report for that associated bug.

You might already have something like this; if so, my apologies.

--
Regards,
David Whiteman
http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/thread.php?group=eclipse.platform