Re: [eclipse-dev] 3.1 and JDK version

There is a significant difference between the JRE that Eclipse is built against, and the JREs that Eclipse users can build their applications against. Thus while users of Eclipse 3.1 will be able to build their applications against any JRE from 1.1 to 1.5, we can only choose one JRE to develop Eclipse itself. Thus, there are necessarily many JRE versions that we can't implicitly test simply by developing Eclipse. Moving to 1.5 would require all users of Eclipse-based products to also move to a 1.5 JRE, which is a strong burden on end-users just to make our lives easier for testing 1.5-specific functionality.

Steven Buroff <sburoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/09/2004 11:13 AM

Please respond to
eclipse-dev

eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Steven Buroff <sburoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[eclipse-dev] 3.1 and JDK version

The 3.1 project plan (http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/eclipse_project_plan_3_1.html)
says: "The 3.1 release of the Eclipse Project is written and compiled against version 1.4 of the Java 2 Platform APIs, and targeted to run on version 1.4 of the Java 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition.". How can you develop and support Java 1.5 if you are using 1.4 for development
and testing (I assume you test on the targeted system)?

Steve Buroff

Back to the top