Re: [eclipse-dev] Found a few hundred bugs in Eclipse

I love this plug-in so much that I'm going to marry it :-)

Having said that...
Some of the categories of warnings it flags are questionable, so the claim
that a "few hundred bugs" were found in Eclipse is a little dramatic.

Nice piece of work nevertheless!

Wassim.

             Bill Pugh
             <pugh@xxxxxxxxxx>
             eclipse-dev-admin         eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             @eclipse.org                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/19/2004 02:22          [eclipse-dev] Found a few hundred
             PM                        bugs in Eclipse

             Please respond to
                eclipse-dev

We're working on a open source static analysis tool, called FindBugs,
for finding a number of different kinds
of bugs or antipatterns in Java programs. We've founds lots of bugs in
most large Java programs we've looked
at, including Eclipse. Our tool generates 810 medium/high warnings
about correctness problems in Eclipse 3.0. From
past experience, we believe that corresponds to hundreds of real bugs
(we generally have a less than 50% false
positive rate) [Note: 810 warnings come from all code in all jar files
shipped with Eclipse, which includes some
third-party libraries]

We'd love to get some people in the Eclipse project to start using our
tool. We use Eclipse, have an Eclipse
plugin, and even got an Eclipse innovation award for work on our tool.

However, part of our research is to see if other people think our tool
is finding bugs that they believe
warrant fixing. So we'd really love for people in the Eclipse project
to start using our tool, rather than
having us submit separate bug reports for each bug.

We'd love to work with anyone interested in applying our tool to
Eclipse, and we are always interested in feedback
on improving the accuracy of our existing bug detectors and writing new
ones.

   Thanks,
             Bill Pugh

FindBugs: http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/

A handful of some of the bugs we found in Eclipse 3.0:

----
H C NP: Null pointer dereference in
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.JDIModelPresentation.getPrimitiveValue
TypeSignature(org.eclipse.jdt.debug.core.IJavaValue)
At JDIModelPresentation.java:[line 535]

             String sig= type.getSignature();
             if (sig != null || sig.length() == 1) {
        return sig;
             }

Should be && rather than ||
----
H C NP: Null pointer dereference in
org.eclipse.team.internal.ccvs.core.CVSSyncInfo.getLocalContentIdentifie
r()  At CVSSyncInfo.java:[line 357]

    IResource local = getLocal();
    if (local != null || local.getType() == IResource.FILE) {

Should be && rather than ||

---
M C RV: org.eclipse.search.internal.ui.SearchDialog$1.getText(Object)
ignores return value of java.lang.String.substring(int,int)  At
SearchDialog.java:[line 187]

  int i= label.indexOf('&');
  while (i >= 0) {
    if (i < label.length())
               label= label.substring(0, i) + label.substring(i+1);
    else
               label.substring(0, i);
    i= label.indexOf('&');
    }

The call to substring in the else cause has no effect since the return
value is ignored, so this will be an
infinite loop if the label ends in &.

----
H C Nm: VERY confusing to have methods
org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.InputDialog.getOkButton() and
org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.getOKButton()

InputDialog.getOkButton() is apparently intended to override
Dialog.getOKButton(), but doesn't
because the name is capitalized differently.