[eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Apr 13, 2004

-------------------
 Discussion Topics
-------------------

----------
 Outreach
----------

--------
 Status
--------

RelEng:
- performance plugins are integrated into Nightly builds:
  -
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.sdk.tests-feature/plugins/
  - Example of Junit test instrumented to capture performance data:
    -
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.releng.tests/src/org/eclipse/releng/tests/perfms/UITest.java
  - more details to follow in upcoming week.
- working with Jeff McAffer to revamp the WSWB build process
- bug fixing

JDT Core:
- 1.5:
  - posted Cheetah-02 update
  - working on generic method support, and type inference
  - working in codeassisting in parameterized type references
- HEAD:
  - improved concurrency issue wrt to classpath container initializations,
     more work still needed to address completely
  - improved CP initialization debug traces
  - working on code formatter for handling NON-NLS comment tags
  - field hiding diagnosis now recognizes serialization specific fields
  - addressed long-standing issue with StackOverflow in codeassist
  - addressed verify error in assert statement code generation
  - API tuning for JavaModel 1.5, mostly in element signature decoding
area
  - API tuning for codeassist 1.5
  - bug fixing

PDE:
- PDE Export reworked to use the new pde-build mechanism:
  - We can now export pure bundles in all three formats (zip,
    directory and Update JARs)
  - addressed long standing issues and resolved all outstanding
    export bugs.
- new icons are in place.  Sent feedback and screenshots to the visual
  designer.
- PDE Junit participates in refactoring.  All the work here was done by
  the JDT team, since PDE JUnit inherits the first launcher tab from
  JDT/JUnit. All we needed to do was add a new extension to declare
  our launch configuration's intent to participate in refactoring.
- finished work on using JDT 'New Class' dialog for Java code
  generation in manifest editor
- editor rework continues
- bug fixes

Update:
- bug fixes
- allow patch disabling
- filter out features to install based on the NL values (in addition to
  os/ws/arch)

Help:
- support in help for reacting to dynamically installing plugins in RCP is
  done (for extension points that are important and we planned enabling
  for 3.0)
- bug fixes
- work on 3.0 look of help UI

Initial Experience:
- bugs fixes
- content file markup enhancement ('title' element added; 'class-id'
  attribute added to map to 'class' attribute in HTML)
- work on making Intro plug-in RCP and OSGi-worthy

Core:
- PDE-Build:
  - released new code to HEAD (included in today's integration build)
  - integration with PDE-UI
- Equinox/Runtime:
  - complete code review of OSGi and new runtime
  - addressing the issues found
- User Settings:
  - thread safety code review
- File Encoding/Content Types:
  - new UI (contributed by Andre)
  - UI team considering using content type code for object contributions
- General:
 - bug fixing
 - bug triage

Expression Language:
- added schema for expression language. The schema can be
  included in extension point schemas which are based on
  the expression language.

JDT/UI:
- worked on API finalization
- type hierarchy initialization in background
- javadoc console errors are now linked
- worked on converting content assists in dialog
  to new Platform/UI support
- refactoring:
  - investigated problems in rename refactoring
    with ripple methods and shadowing.
  - moved the refactoring user interface classes
    into API space org.eclipse.ltk.ui.refactoring
  - worked on key renaming support for NLS

Platform UI:
- released new Progress View
- worked on ProgressView status bar proxy

Encoding UI:
- released non-uniform encoding UI

Compare:
- worked on headless merge and contentType support

Back to the top