Re: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Mar 17, 2004

Some follow up on a discussion topic (below) from yesterday.  The Eclipse team understands the need to target various builds from the most recent Eclipse builds.  However, as we move closer to the end of the 3.0 cycle it becomes increasingly important that the various teams have the freedom to ready their code for shipping.  This generally means deleting function which is not going to be part of the final product.

With that in mind, the Eclipse teams should not bend of over backwards to maintain backward compatibility for previous *3.0 milestones*.  For example, there is no guarantee that you will be able to use M8 to develop an M7 target.  People needing to target M7 (or earlier), should use the appropriate build as their development environment.

NOTE: We remain fully committed to backward compatibility for 2.x Eclipse and you are free to use any version of 3.0 to develop for 2.x targets or to run 2.x plugins.

Discussion Topics

From Dejan:
- PDE+Runtime will stop providing backward compatibility for milestones
 older than M*-1 where * is the current milestone.

Back to the top