RE: [eclipse-dev] Purposal for the packages problem

> So basically a RCP standalone update manager.
> That lives separately from the eclipse installation
> itself but can just "administor" your eclipse development
> installations.

Given Pascal's demo Equinox at EclipseCon, the standalone update manager
could have the appearance of being "standalone" but could actually be a
small app which sits on top of the core and loads all of the other features.
Using this approach the update manager would be available both prior to the
install of the bulk of Eclipse, and also from within Eclipse Workbench once
the rest of Eclipse was installed.

This will be a very powerful solution indeed (and valuable to the whole RCP
community) but as I understand the schedule, this is definitely post 3.0.
Though if the community contributed to the effort, perhaps a technology
project could begin tackling the problem soon.

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement - eMeasurement Group

2510 North Dodge St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
ph. 319-354-9200x6214
john-mason.shackelford@xxxxxxxxxxx