RE: [eclipse-dev] Combo packages proposal

Combining all of the drops in one is technically feasible.  We started out down that path and it is done in some product scenarios I believe.  There are a few challenges.  For example, there is only one root directory.  There would be name conflicts for the "eclipse" executable on non Windows platforms.  The main hurdle is legal.  As I recall, there were issues with delivering various third party libraries to platforms other than the intended ones.  I'm not a lawyer and so cannot provide more detail there.

Personally I would like this option.

My comment about being untested assumed that the teams follow their own schedules etc and just contribute zips which are trivially repackaged into the uber-package.  Doing one mondo unified build does not work as various teams use different build and test technology plus a build already takes about 4 hours.  Lengthening that would severely impact our ability to do milestones using continuous builds to cover all our timezones etc.  The Eclipse releng team does not have the resources (human, machine or temporal) to play that role.

Jeff

"Ed Burnette" <Ed.Burnette@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/12/2004 10:04 PM

Please respond to
eclipse-dev

<eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject

Jeff McAffer wrote:
> - We'd need 1+GB more disk space *per build* (on our server plus the mirrors)

What would happen if you put all the os/ws fragments in a single sdk download and the user unpacked them all into the eclipse directory? Would each system pick out the right fragment at run-time? That would cut your download server space by a factor of 5 at least. Also it would help address some feedback I got at EclipseCon where somebody was having trouble making a multi-platform install because it would give them the pieces for all the systems. The down side is it would increase the sdk download size by about 15M.

> Note also that the content of the uber-package would never have been
> tested since it is part of the build and by definition the things that
> are added in are added to an Eclipse that was just built.

Why would it have to be untested? PDE, for example, is part of the build, added to an Eclipse platform that was just built so what's the difference between that and, say, EMF?

For another example, when the web tools project is going, I'd definitely want to see it on the same automated build schedule and test regimen as the Platform components. Life's too short for "when will it work with M7" kinds of questions. :)