Re: [eclipse-dev] Combo packages proposal

I'm not sure if we have considered Bit Torrent.  It looks promising but it too has issues.  For example, it has to pass a security audit before it can go on our servers.  There are issues with firewalls/NAT etc.  These are solvable but take time and energy.  Presumeably it only takes one server to seed the torrent.  Perhaps a mirror site could sign up to try it?

I was only partially facetious in my characterization. The point I was trying to make is that making the packages is not the challenge.  We use that mechanism all the time.  It is determining what should be in the packages and managing them that is the issue.  The size issue is also real.  Some teams I know build similar uber-packages and they are somewhere around 120-150MB per build and growing weekly.  That is almost double the size of the current download.  If we assume that some sizeable portion of the download community would fetch the uber-package rather than the SDK (if that is not true then why are we talking about this), then we could see a sizeable increase in bandwidth demand.  We already ship some ridiculous number of TERA bytes per month!

The best suggestion so far IMHO is to use some flavour of the Eclipse update technology.  That way people get only what has actually changed.  It should be faster and more convenient and also reduce bandwidth and server space requirements.

Jeff

Chris Grindstaff <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/12/2004 05:20 PM

Please respond to
eclipse-dev

Jeff McAffer <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse-dev] Combo packages proposal

JM> Through the wonders of PDE build we could indeed create additional
JM> packagings quite easily.  However,

JM> - We'd have to define this new "uber-package".  A list has been suggested
[snip]

I assume someone else has mentioned this at one time or another, but
has bit torrent been considered as a download option to help defray
some of the the bandwidth costs?

Perhaps it isn't as big a deal with the current download sizes, I
assume you were being partly facetious in your description Jeff.

Chris
--
Chris Grindstaff | http://gstaff.org