RE: [eclipse-dev] RE: Forums vs. mailing lists

I agree it would be nice if something could be done about getting usage questions in the right forum. Here's my $.02:

With my user hat on, I like the user newsgroups. The volume is so high that I'd be filtering and storing a lot of mailing list traffic (>200/day) if the user groups were converted to mail, many of which I would not read. The user discussions are often in long threads, which news readers are good at organizing. If, as you suggested, you provided both options and made them a mirror image of each other, then both camps would be happy.

With my contributor hat, on I like the dev mailing lists. The volume is relatively light, messages are not terribly threaded, and I want to read each message as it comes in, so it's a natural for email. It's not a big deal though, and I'd be almost as happy to read these in newsgroups. In fact many months ago I tried to register all the -dev lists at gmane (incl. spam controls), but somebody at eclipse.org objected :).

Another option would be to try and bury the -dev lists in the eclipse.org web site some more. Currently they're prominently listed on the navigation bar of every page, even though they're applicable to only a small percentage of people who visit the site.

--Ed

Back to the top