Re: [eclipse-dev] newsgroup problems

Monday, July 21, 2003, 11:10:53 AM, Adam Kiezun wrote:

>> Just curious: Is there any good reason why we are using newsgroups
>> instead of an email based mailinglist (which I would prefer very much)!

> this question has been asked before.
> the answer is: most people prefer newsgroups (very much). me too.
> newgroups don't pollute your mailbox, cause less spam, are easier accessible from
> any computer (you don't have to access your mailbox), allow tracking threads, or ignoring threads, etc.
> newsgroups are simply better.

Agreed.  As an example, if I have a very busy week and want to tune out
of the newsgroup during that time, I can do so very easily with
newsgroups (i.e. just don't visit the newsgroup).  But when I get
something in my inbox, it's an interruption that I have to deal with
(even if it's selecting the message and deleting it).  I find that
newsgroups make it easier to manage interruptions (kind of like
subscribing to an email list in digest mode).

--
Regards,
David Whiteman

Back to the top