Re: [eclipse-dev] Draft Eclipse 3.0 plan is available

I just recently observed that components such as GEF are only able to introduce incompatible changes to downstream clients on the same schedule as the platform.  We are effectively locked into the platform's release strategy.  This is just an observation, not a complaint.  We don't anticipate breaking compatibility any time soon :-)

As Eclipse becomes increasingly more popular, the likelihood of users installing 2 or more products which are built on GEF, EMF, or some other "middle" technology grows.  This means that for any set of compatible platform releases, GEF (and other shared plugins) must also be compatible.

In a way, it will be a good thing if Eclipse 3.0 is *not* backwards compatible.

-Randy

Back to the top