[eclipse-dev] Eclipse Project DRAFT 3.0 Plan comment

RedHat Linux 9 Professional Intel x86 GTK Sun Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition, 1.4.1_02 for Linux x86
RedHat Linux 9 Professional Intel x86 GTK IBM Developer Kit for Linux, Java 2 Technology Edition, version 1.4.0
SuSE Linux 8.2 Intel x86 GTK Sun Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition, 1.4.1_02 for Linux x86
SuSE Linux 8.2 Intel x86 GTK IBM Developer Kit for Linux, Java 2 Technology Edition, version 1.4.0

I have concern regarding eclipse 3.0 don't support Linux Motif, I totally agree if user use Linux, most of user will prefer GTK, but we should keep this in mind. Even Linux eclipse user prefer use GTK, we still have to support Motif too, the reason is that Linux eclipse user may need to write program target to unix motif, then Linux eclipse to support Motif will be very critical. Can you imagine any customer will use unix as its workstation? Even eclipse customer have to support unix motif, most of its developers will use linux as its workstation. We should support Linux motif, and allow eclipse user to switch.  Again I think it is easier for now to keep supporting it, and it will be much more difficult to roll back support  later.

Best Regards,
John Huang

Back to the top