From: Dave Orme [mailto:DaveO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 3:13 PM
To: 'eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [eclipse-dev] What's next for eclipse (round 2)

+1.

My ideal implementation would be to expose macros using an implementation of Emacs Lisp, then include a record/play function in the UI to activate them.  There's already an open source project implementing a large chunk of this (JEmacs) that would be worth investigating.

This would have the nice side-effect of creating a "plug-in API" for text editing, enabling people to more easily extend the text editor.  It would also enable people to create plug-ins by porting things from the huge library of Emacs Lisp add-ins that are already available.

Dave