RE: Think big (RE: [eclipse-dev] Re: What's happening after 2.1?

Title: Message
I'd like to second this. JDT's editor has so many great features that people want to emulate them in their own editors. But it's really hard to do that. Sometimes they just copy the JDT editor code and modify it, but then the JDT moves on (witness the CDT editor). Some bits and pieces have made their way into TextEditor (like annotations) which is welcome but it's not enough. Also I get the impression TextEditor wasn't meant to be subclassed like it is.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Orme [mailto:DaveO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 3:17 PM
To: 'eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: Think big (RE: [eclipse-dev] Re: What's happening after 2.1?
One way to overcome this problem and enable us to experiment with new innovative code editing technologies might be to refactor the current JDT editor support away from the current editor so it could be added to *any* editor that is embedded inside Eclipse.  This would enable people to keep using (and developing if they like) the current code editor while we experiment with other, more experimental and innovative designs.

Back to the top