Re: [eclipse-dev] Launching XP Eclipse via Network w/o Java Installed Locally?

Fred,

You should be able to start Eclipse without passing the '-configuration'
flag. This flag will set the location of the platform configuration and
expects a URL of the configuration file. If you want to have your
configuration separate from the workspace, you could say:

-configuration file:c:/eclipse/platform.cfg

However, this is not necessary. Without it, configuration fill be created
in the .metadata directory of your local workspace.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Platform Components
D2/MY7/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4854

                      "Fred R. McClurg"
                      <frmcclur@rockwellc        To:       eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      ollins.com>                cc:       platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [eclipse-dev] Launching XP Eclipse via Network w/o Java Installed Locally?
                      eclipse-dev-admin@e
                      clipse.org

                      04/16/2003 10:48 AM
                      Please respond to
                      eclipse-dev

Dear Friends of Eclipse:

Can the XP version of Eclipse be launched from a network
location without depending upon a local installation of
Java on the client PC?

I have a hunch that the "-configuration" part of my command
line below is not right.

Does anybody have an example regarding what the "-configuration"
pathname is supposed look like?  Does anyone have an example
regarding what is supposed to be in the "-configuration" file?

Here is what I have for the properties of my Eclipse shortcut:

   \\crntds20\swtools\eclipse\2.1\eclipse.exe -vm "\\crntds20\C$\Program
Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_02\bin\javaw.exe" -data c:\eclipse\workspace
-configuration \\crntds20\swtools\eclipse\2.1\startup.jar

Here is the error message that I get via the ".log" file:

   !SESSION
   !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.launcher 4 0 Apr 15, 2003 08:39:01.284
   !MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
   !STACK
   java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:
//crntds20/swtools/eclipse/2.1/startup.jar
           at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
           at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
           at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)
           at
org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.processConfiguration(Main.java:788)
           at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:746)
           at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:583)

--

Fred R. McClurg, mailto:frmcclur@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"The foundations of our society and our government rest so much on the