Re: [eclipse-dev] FreeBSD eclipse port

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks for the detail.  Sounds like a pretty evolved porting strategy.  I
> would, however, like to offer an alternative.  Eclipse is explicitly
> designed to facilitate others (such as yourself) providing alternative
> implementations of platform-dependent pieces (e.g., SWT).  The fragment
> model is the main mechanism at play here.

Actually, for most Posix applications the creation of a
FreeBSD port with the ports framework is a trivial task.
Eclipse would have been trivial had "linux" not been
hardcoded into so many things, and there was a way to
rebuild the shared libs and launcher.  The only changes
necessary where changing those two headers, and removing
"-lc" from the link stage arguments.  (The "linux" thing
wasn't a big problem, but I figured if I build the freebsd
one with "linux" hardcoded in, it might cause conflicts
with add-on packages (CDT) that also use shared libs ...)

> So, a "port" can be viewed as providing the relevant plugin fragments for
> your OS/WS/Arch.  In your case you define the following fragments:
>       org.eclipse.swt.gtk.freebsd
>       org.eclipse.update.core.freebsd
>       org.eclipse.core.resources.freebsd

Done.

> The only other issue is the executable ("eclipse").  This is a
> straightforward binary executable which can be handled in the normal way.

Done.

http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~flemej/freebsd/eclipse-port/org.eclipse/

Of course the shared libs and eclipse launcher I built
might only run on FreeBSD 5, and only with XFree 4.3.

Did I miss anything?  I used the HEAD sources from CVS, but
did not rebuild the 2129 libs yet, just copied my 2128
ones.  I'll try running the whole releng thing with the new
FreeBSD targets...

-James

Back to the top