Re: [eclipse-dev] java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError at startup....

The newsgroup is more appropriate for such questions.

You should look if you don't have a xerces library in your classpath that
might interfere. If so, remove it and everything should be fine.

Olivier

                      Syed Wasim Ali
                      <syed.ali@NeuStar.         To:      eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      com>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                   Subject: [eclipse-dev] java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError at startup....
                      eclipse-dev-admin@
                      eclipse.org

                      10/29/02 04:15 PM
                      Please respond to
                      eclipse-dev

Hi!

I am new to eclipse and started with the 2.0.1 build. Created a new
sample java project and added a few classes. Next, I wanted to try the
JUnit plugin and used the 'File/New/Other' to create the TestSuite, a
TestCase, and finally added the TestCase to the TestSuite using the
'File/New/Other'. I was able to successfully build the project and run
the newly created TestSuite. Next, I closed eclipse application. This
morning, when I attempted to start eclipse, a dialog popped up
displaying text: "Problems during startup. Check the ".log" file in the
".metadata" directory of your workspace." Here is what the
$ECLIPSE_HOME/workspace/.metadata/.log file say:

!SESSION
!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.launcher 4 0 Oct 29, 2002 15:46:28.972
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.RegistryLoader.processManifestFile(RegistryLoader.java:89)

        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.RegistryLoader.processPluginPathFile(RegistryLoader.java:136)

        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.RegistryLoader.processPluginPathEntry(RegistryLoader.java:127)

        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.RegistryLoader.processManifestFiles(RegistryLoader.java:104)

        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.RegistryLoader.parseRegistry(RegistryLoader.java:63)

        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.RegistryLoader.parseRegistry(RegistryLoader.java:71)

        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.parsePlugins(InternalPlatform.java:742)

        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.loadRegistry(InternalPlatform.java:686)

        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.loaderStartup(InternalPlatform.java:562)

        at

        at

        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.startup(InternalBootLoader.java:909)

        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:768)

        at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:462)
        at

        at

        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:247)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:703)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:539)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.<init>(SAXParser.java:95)
        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginParser.initializeParser(PluginParser.java:78)

        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginParser.<clinit>(PluginParser.java:43)

        ... 23 more

I searched the archive to see if other people have experienced similar
problems to no avail. Also, "eclipse-SDK-I20021018-linux-motif" build
fails to start with the same error.

Can someone please help me figure out the reason for this failure?

Many thanks in advance.

-Syed