Re: [eclipse-dev] summary of what's new in Eclipse 2.1 milestone M2 build

yes.  Try

http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/S-M2-200210181211/index.php

                      Michael Seiwert
                      <mseiwert@xxxxxx>          To:      eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                   cc:
                      eclipse-dev-admin@         Subject: Re: [eclipse-dev] summary of what's new in
                      eclipse.org                Eclipse 2.1 milestone M2 build

                      10/29/2002 01:28
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      eclipse-dev

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:53:56AM -0500, Jim des Rivieres wrote:
> Here's a summary of new and noteworthy features in the recent Eclipse 2.1
> milestone M2 build. A link to this summary has also been added to the M2
> download page:

http://eclipsedrops.ott.oti.com/downloads/master/downloads/drops/S-M2-200210181211/index.php

is it possible that this site isn't reachable ?

> Eclipse 2.1 M2 - New and Noteworthy
>

> New and interesting things are starting to show up in builds as Eclipse
2.1
> development efforts proceed with a full head of steam. Here are some of
the
> more noteworthy things available in milestone build M2 (October 18,
2002).
> See the M2 build notes for details about bugs fixed and other changes.
>

> Reminders in your code. The Java compiler will now create visible tasks
> whenever it finds specially tagged comments in a Java source file.
> Configure strings like "FIXME", "BOGUS", or "TODO:" as special task tags
in
> the Java compiler preference page (Java / Compiler / Extra Markers) to
> automatically get tasks showing up in the Tasks view each time any of
these
> tags gets mentioned in source code.
>

> Now where was I? Workbench editors now keep a navigation history. If  you
> open a second editor while you're editing away, you can hit
ALT+LeftArrow
> (Navigate > Backward, or the back arrow on the workbench toolbar) to get
> back. Working with lots of open editors just got a whole lot easier.
>

> What happened to Eclipse on the Mac OS X? It was there in M1, but
> disappeared for M2. Rest assured, the situation is temporary while the
> clipping and z-order code in SWT Mac gets completely reworked. Eclipse
for
> the Mac will reappear before M3.
>

> Oodles of SWT snippets. The SWT team has published a collection of short
> example code fragments that shed light on various aspects of SWT
> programming. The catalog of snippets, and the recently updated FAQ, can
be
> found on the SWT Development Resources page.
>

> Restoring deleted files from CVS. Deleted files can now be queried and
> restored from the CVS repository using the Team > Restore from
> Repository... command, which is available on CVS projects and folders.
>
> CVS Quick Sync. A new "quick sync" action has been added to the CVS
action
> set. The action lets you select which CVS projects to synchronize. A new
> button shows up in the CVS repository view, but you can customize your
> workbench toolbar to place it within easy reach.
>

> Easier to alter history. For people who like to shift an existing CVS tag
> from one version to another, you can now do Tag with Existing in the CVS
> resource history view.
>

> CVS and external SSH tool users. The parameter format for an EXT
connection
> can now be specified on the EXT Connection Method preference page. The
> parameter list can include variables for user, password, host, and port.
> This is a welcome change if you need to talk to your CVS server with an
> external Telnet/SSH client like PuTTY.
>

> More flexible CVS checkouts. A new Checkout Into action lets you check
out
> a folder into an existing project. And a checked-out folder in a project
> can be disconnected from CVS control so that it can be changed in or
> deleted from a workspace without queuing up outgoing CVS changes. And CVS
> projects can now be configured to not fetch absent directories on update.
>

> Platform UI clears its backlog of P1 defects. For the first time in a
long
> time, the Platform UI component has no outstanding high priority (P1)
> defects. The UI team says the P2s are next, and plan to have that backlog
> cleared by milestone M3.
>

> Stepping into selected subexpressions. While stepping through Java code
in
> the debugger, you can step into a particular method invocation expression
> on the current line by highlighting the method name and executing Step
Into
> Selection in the editor pop-up (CTRL+F5).
>

> Stepping into selected subexpressions. When stepping through complex Java
> statement expressions like f(g(x),h(x)), you can step directly into one
of
> the method invocations expression by highlighting the method name and
> executing Step Into Selection in the editor pop-up (CTRL+F5).
>

> Who's waiting for whom? The Java debugger's new locks and monitors view
> shows you which threads are holding which locks or waiting to acquire
> others.
>

> Instance breakpoints and watchpoints. The Java debugger now lets you set
> breakpoints and watchpoints specific to a particular object.
>

> Code assist for conditional breakpoints. Code assist now works when
> entering the condition of a conditional breakpoint.
>

> Forgetting to place new files under CVS version control. Performing a CVS
> commit now pops up a dialog when there are new files not yet under to
> version control, and asks you whether they should be added (or ignored).
>

> Refactor > Inline Method inlines calls to a particular Java method,
either
> at a selected call site or everywhere a particular method is called.
>

> Refactor > Change Signature lets you can change the signature of a method
> to add or remove parameters, or change parameter or return types. These
> changes are applied to the declaration of the method, anywhere the method
> is overridden or implemented, and anywhere it is called.
>

> Refactor > Use Supertype Where Possible replaces usages of a type with
one
> of its supertypes.
>

> Refactor > Extract Constant creates a static final field from the
selected
> expression and substitutes a field reference, and optionally rewrites
other
> places where the same expression occurs.
>

> Refactor > Extract Interface creates a new interface with a set of method
> and makes the selected class implement the interface, optionally changing
> references to the class to the new interface wherever possible.
>

> Refactor > Move Inner Class to Top Level creates a new Java compilation
> unit for the selected inner class, updating all references as needed. For
> non-static inner classes, a field is added to allow access to the former
> enclosing instance.
>

> More Quick Fixes. Click the light bulb in the left margin of the Java
> editor to get help with fixing compiler-detected problems, including:
> instance variable used in a static context; abstract method in a
> non-abstract type; unimplemented abstract methods; missing catch clauses
> for uncaught exceptions; non-visible method, field, type, or import.
>

> Scroll to the next method. Use CTRL+SHIFT+DownArrow (Edit > Move to Next
> Member) and CTRL+SHIFT+UpArrow (Edit > Move to Previous Member) in the
Java
> editor to quickly navigate between member methods, fields, initializers,
> and types.
>

> Batch those Java model operations. Java model operations can now be
batched
> using the new API method JavaCore.run. At the end of the batch operation,
> all changes are reported in a single Java element change event. Use this
> new mechanism to prevent the UI from being immediately updated with each
> step of a multi-step wizard or action.
>

> Prefer to see static methods and fields grouped together? There is a new
> preference page (Java / Compiler / Members Sort Order) for controlling
the
> sort order of various different kinds of members in Java views.
>

> Smart typing in Java code. There is a new preference page (Java / Editor
/
> Behavior) for controlling automatic closing of parentheses, brackets,
> strings, and comments, for smart wrapping of strings, and other helpful
> Java-specific editor behavior.
>

> Finding unseen constructor invocations. Searching for references to a
Java
> constructor now finds and reports implicit calls to the constructor as
> well.
>

> Do-it-yourself testing of Eclipse builds. Each time we build a new drop
of
> Eclipse, we run a suite of automated tests to ensure that it is
functional.
> The complete automated testing framework and test suites are now
available
> as a separate drop, so that you can run them locally from the command
line
> (see JUnit Plug-in Tests and Automated Testing Framework on the downloads
> page).
>

> Indeterminate progress widget. SWT's indeterminate progress widget is now
> implemented natively on all platforms. This is good news for the
> non-Windows platforms, which used to display something strikingly
> Windows-like. Most Windows users won't notice anything different,
although
> you can see it on a skinned XP.
>

> Running all unit tests. The JUnit test runner now gives you an easy way
> run all tests in a specified Java project, source folder, or package.
>

> Running applets. The Run can be used to run an applet using the standard
> Java applet launcher.
>

> More errors detected on the fly. The Java editor now put the wavy red
> underline (known colloquially as the "red sea") under all types of
errors,
> now including uncaught exceptions and unused variables, which require
> detailed flow analysis.
>

> Coming soon: user customizable key bindings. You may not see it yet, but
> there has been work on SWT and the Platform UI to pave the way for user
> customizable key bindings (one of our high priority items for Eclipse
2.1).
> The payoff will start to show in M3.

Regards

Micha