Re: [eclipse-dev] Source builds with source code in the .zip files

On Thursday 11 July 2002 02:55 pm, Dean Roberts wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> As promised yesterday we have added a 2nd flavour of source build.  There
> is now a small zip that will fetch Java source code and resources from cvs
> on dev.eclipse.org to do the build and a larger zip that already contains
> all the Java source code.

Excellent.

> Please let us know about any problems you find.

Hmmmm.  If I have already checked out the Eclipse source into my Eclipse
workspace as separate projects for each feature/plugin, is there a way to let
the source build scripts know about it?  I'm no Ant guru, but at first glance
it looks like the various scripts aren't set up to do that.

They all use '${install}/features' or '${install}/plugins' throughout, which
doesn't seem to be compatible a workspace filled with separate projects for
each feature/plugin.

Would it be sufficient to replace those paths with the correct ones?  For
example, the 'compileSwt' task looks like this:

<target name="compileSwt" depends="init">
<!--  Compile dependencies require that the swt.jar be compiled first  -->
    <ant antfile="${install}/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.${ws}/build.xml"
         target="clean"
         dir="${install}/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.${ws}" />
    <ant antfile="${install}/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.${ws}/build.xml"
         target="build.jars"
         dir="${install}/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.${ws}" />
</target>

If (per instructions) I put the various scripts from the source build .zip
file in their own project (which in my case would put it alongside all the
feature/plugin projects checked out from CVS), and then changed the
compileSwt task so that it looked like:

<target name="compileSwt" depends="init">
<!--  Compile dependencies require that the swt.jar be compiled first  -->
    <ant antfile="../org.eclipse.swt.${ws}/build.xml"
         target="clean"
         dir="../org.eclipse.swt.${ws}" />
    <ant antfile="../org.eclipse.swt.${ws}/build.xml"
         target="build.jars"
         dir="../org.eclipse.swt.${ws}" />
</target>

Is this the correct approach?

My goal is to be able to fetch from CVS using Eclipse as opposed to Ant,
which provides very little feedback on what it is doing.  After fetching, I
want to use the other tasks (e.g. compile) in the 'build.xml' file to do the
rest of the work.

I think I'm on the right track, but before I spend the time tweaking all this
XML, I'd like a 'reality-check' from those more familiar with the build
process.

Any help is appreciated,

Jim S.

Back to the top