Re: [ecf-dev] Remote Services vs AsyncDelegate

On 11/15/2015 2:28 AM, Dieter Cailliau wrote:
I think many providers can become better (in terms of threading) if
they'ld register proxies that implement AsyncDelegate.

True.

OTOH, all of the existing providers already support the automatic creation/registration of async proxies [1], and many of the existing providers implement this quite effectively in terms of threading (details if desired). Async proxies also take advantage of CompletableFuture on Java8.

But I agree with you that it would be a nice enhancement to use/implement AsyncDelegate. Given the above, it would be pretty simple to do technically at least for some providers. One reason it hasn't been done already is that AsyncDelegate only appears in OSGi R6, and at least for a time it would be nice for ECF to continue to support R5 frameworks (as we do now).

Scott

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/ECF/Asynchronous_Remote_Services