Re: [ecf-dev] Run Eclipse Remote Service Admin on Apache Karaf

On 28 Nov 2012, at 23:44, Scott Lewis wrote:

Hi Alex,

On 11/27/2012 2:54 PM, Alex Blewitt wrote:
org.eclipse.core.runtime has a dependency on the org.eclipse.equinox.common;bundle-version="[3.6.100,4.0.0) which now has a dependency on org.eclipse.osgi;bundle-version="[3.7.0,4.0.0)"

So the core runtime can no longer run on Felix. This didn't used to be the case, and is a change outside of the ECF codebase, but the dependency to org.eclipse.core.runtime prevents its use on Felix.

I heard from Tom Watson on this, and he indicated that he doesn't see any dependency of equinox.common on org.eclipse.osgi in most recent version...i.e. here's from the source code:

http://git.eclipse.org/c/equinox/rt.equinox.bundles.git/tree/bundles/org.eclipse.equinox.common/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF

He also mentioned that all the dependencies that equinox.common references should be resolved by a bundle that I was not aware of...i.e.

org.eclipse.equinox.supplement

I'm currently trying to determine where this bundle is in the Equinox git repo, and to understand it myself.

Do you (Alex) have info about some other Equinox incompatibility?   I will try out a recent version of Felix and Equinox myself asap and report results here.

I recalled not being able to install org.eclipse.equinox.common, because as you noted above, it has dependencies on org.eclipse.osgi.framework.log and others that are currently exported by the main Equinox bundle.

Having said that, the supplemental bundle you mention looks like it exports those packages, which would make it work on Felix.

It's unfortunate that you need two separate configurations depending on whether you're using Equinox or Felix, as it makes a simple install list difficult to create. I'd imagine installing the supplemental into the Equinox runtime would fail, in much the same way that not having it in Felix would.

The bundles are well hidden on the download page - you have to follow the 'downloads' link followed by selecting one of the builds (E.g. 3.8.1) and then clicking on the drop-down triangle next to the 'Add-on bundles' section. In the case of the supplemental one, it's here:

It's quite possible that installing this will fix the problems I saw last time (I hadn't heard of it either). I'll see if I can investigate further this weekend and report back.

Alex

Back to the top