Re: [ecf-dev] Remoting with ECF (with REST) in Eclipse RCP?

Hi Angelo,

On 4/13/2012 12:47 AM, Angelo zerr wrote:
<stuff deleted>

Have you samples to do that?

No...not in ECF...but there are plenty of examples in PDE and other parts of Eclipse...there is also lots of documentation and public examples of using core variables to do variable substitution (as well as examples with the org.eclipse.core.variables extension points).

I have read your post http://eclipseecf.blogspot.fr/2011/07/restlet-for-osgi-remote-services.html about ECF+Restlet and it seems that your service cannot be a Pojo (must extend Restlet ServerResource). More in my case I have some services which have parameters with interface and Pojo (ex: Pageable interface from the String Data JPA). I know that using interface is more complex than Pojo but I have done that with success with CXF DOSGi by using JAXB @XmlJavaTypeAdapter.

Restlet typically expects extending ServerResource...but I believe it's possible for Restlet services to be setup in ways other than extending ServerResource. Frankly, I'm not the architect of Restlet, so I can't tell you for sure. OSGi remote services (and ECF's impl of that) only requires a service interface to be specified...and doesn't put further constraints on things...so what you are describing now only has to do with Restlet and not with OSGi remote services or ECF's implementation.

I don't really see this as a limitation of either Restlet or ECF remote services, but rather a constraint that you are putting on things based upon how you've done things previously. AFAICT, the needs you describe in the paragraph above can/could be made to work just fine with Restlet...and the ECF OSGi remote services provider that uses it.

To avoid posting and posting my requirement about remoting, I think it should be cool that I finish my articles. I would like explain how to manage remoting in RCP with :

1) Spring Remoting HttpInvoker
2) DOSGi CXF
3) ECF

For 1) and 2) I know how to manage that. I must study 3) and I will post you my question.

Yes.  Please use this forum for 3 only.

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top