[ecf-dev] IHostContainerSelector fix

Hi Folks,

Shortly after release of ECF 3.5's impl of Remote Service Admin (RSA) I realized that the API for IHostContainerSelector was not sufficiently general (isn't that how it always happens? :).

Specifically, here's the signature of the only method in IHostContainerSelector

    IRemoteServiceContainer[] selectHostContainers(
            ServiceReference serviceReference, String[] exportedInterfaces,
            String[] exportedConfigs, String[] serviceIntents);

RSA's exportService, however, has both a ServiceReference and a Map<String,Object> that allows the properties on the ServiceReference to be overridden...i.e. here is the OSGI RemoteServiceAdmin exportService method signature:

Collection<ExportRegistration> exportService(ServiceReference reference,
            Map<String, Object> properties);

The 'properties' argument is intended to be interpreted to override the properties on the service reference.

I realized that the ECF IHostContainerSelector should *also* allow the ServiceReference properties to be overridden...and so should almost certainly have a signature like this:

    IRemoteServiceContainer[] selectHostContainers(
            ServiceReference serviceReference, String[] exportedInterfaces,
String[] exportedConfigs, String[] serviceIntents, Map<String, Object> overrideProperties);

This would allow the host container selector implementation to also use the overrideProperties in the selection/creation/configuration of a remote service host container. This is not critical, but it is a desirable generalization and IMHO should be fixed.

So...the upshot is that I would like to add this overrideProperties argument to IHostContainerSelector API (and implementations, obviously) to ECF as soon as possible.

The IHostContainerSelector is API...albeit ECF-internal API ...as it allows people to easily customize ECF's RSA implementation. It does not represent any change in the RSA-specified standard API.

My proposal is to introduce this API change right away, and release it in ECF 3.5.1. I would like to seek a waiver to include in the 3.5.1 maintenance release (with approximate release date of mid-May 2011). I think it would be a bit much to go through a minor release review (i.e. 3.6) for this ECF-internal API change.

Any opinions/views/comments?

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top