Re: [ecf-dev] JmDNS supports multi homed devices (was: Re: [Discovery] Double Network Address and Remote Services)

Hi,

Yes this is certainly a problem for us right now. We are about to look into this here at Remain and we will report back any issues that have been resolved to ECF. No time set for this project right now.

Here is something to discuss.

First of all: Dual homing is very very common. It happens in a VPN network. If you work remotely and setup a VPN with your office then you are dual homed because the VPN software will create a local subnet for "virtual" attachement to the other network.

Given host A on network 192 creating a VPN with host B on network 172. During the communication, the host A will communicate it's IP to host B. Given that host A is mulithomed, any of the two addresses can be communicated. This is faulty.

I think that the solution must be found in creating some kind of IP-Address Factory that gets the requesting IP-Address as input. Given this input address and the networks the Host is on, it can provide the correct IP addres.

This sounds simple.

Regards,

Wim

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Markus Alexander Kuppe <ecf-dev_eclipse.org@lemmster.de> wrote:
On 09/27/2010 12:33 AM, Wim Jongman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have this "broker machine" that sits between two networks and thus has
> network addresses of both. Say 192.* and 18.* If a service is published
> in the 192.* network then that network advertises this in the discovery.
> The broker sees a remote services and initiates a r_osgi communication
> with that client.
>
> However, when the broker supplies its own address it needs to be smart
> about the network of the client that it receives the connect from, or
> advertise both addresses.
>
> Currently, in the zookeeper/r_osgi impl, this does not handle correctly.
> I wonder how this works for other discovery/distribution providers.

Hi Wim,

JmDNS has recently started to support multi homed devices [0]. If this
is of interest to you or others (JmDNS is limited to the local subnet
due to the use of multicast), I could use some help integrating JmDNS
latest into ECF [1].

Markus

[0]
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1936453&group_id=93852&atid=605794