RE: [ecf-dev] handling pub-sub providers with RFC 119

Hi Scott,

I'm fine with using more than one property to describe the service
location (if it makes sense for certain protocols e.g. JMS).
My main message is that ServicePublication.PROP_KEY_ENDPOINT_LOCATION
property (you called it "endpointID") is the URI describing where to
reach the service or in other words where to connect to and send
invocation messages in order to call the service e.g.
http://myserver.de/myWebService, jms:activemq::B:1099/myServiceTopic or
{tcp://mybroker:1099 + additional property like topicName =
myServiceTopic}.
So this property has actually already the meaning of the new introduced
"connectTargetID" property.

To earth my points to concrete class and methods:

a) org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.services.discovery.IServiceEndpointDescription:
the already existing and inherited method URI getLocation(), which
returns the value of ServicePublication.PROP_KEY_ENDPOINT_LOCATION,
is semantic-wise the same as the new getConnectTargetID() method
returning org.eclipse.ecf.core.identity.ID

If it's just the more convenient return type which is desirable then we
should have at least similar names: e.g. getLocationAsID();

b) org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.services.discovery.IServiceEndpointDescription:
the already existing and inherited method String getEndpointID(), which
returns the value of ServicePublication.PROP_KEY_ENDPOINT_ID,
seems to have a different meaning then the new and similar sounding
getECFEndpointID() method returning an ID.
The first one is just a unique id (#123456) identifying the
stub/endpoint exposing a service. That's I think something similar to
ECF's IServiceID which inherits from ID but gives the ID the meaning to
identify a service instance and not a service container or host. If I
understood correctly the other method getECFEndpointID() is returning
the id of the host machine where the service instance is actually
executed.

To prevent confusion here using another name would make sense e.g.
getServiceHostID().

But maybe I've missed something?! Please let me know.

Regards,
Philipp

URIs
> potentially many times).
> c) Having two IDs...one to identify the pub sub group to connect to,
> and
> the other to identify the endpoint within the group...seems more
> natural
> to me than to put them into an opaque and complex ID as above.
>
> But in any event, since we (ECF) now have both, we can now accomodate
> providers that such addressing either way.
>
> Scott
>
> > Regards,
> > Philipp

can

> >> be

> via

> > word

> > easily

> sounds
> >>>
> >> PROP_KEY_ENDPOINT_ID

> >> allowing

> >> discovery

> >> that

> >> reached.
> >>
> >> Right this is my understanding.

> contain
> url
> or
> >>>

> >> Perhaps, but this isn't necessary the endpoint for all clients
> >> participating in the group.  That is, what if A (above) publishes a
> >> service?  What would its endpoint be in the service publication?

> >> should

> >> Effectively, ECF already now already has this with the
> >> IHostContainerFinder.  It would allow the usage of intents (or any
> >> other
> >> service properties) to determine how/what container (and what it's
> >> configuration might be) is made available for usage as the
> >>
> > distribution
> >
> >> provider ...and for JMS can/could determine what JMS queues/topics
> are
> >> used to expose the service (e.g. by creating JMS IContainer
> instances
> >> of
> >> appropriate type).
> >>
> >> A custom IHostContainerFinder can replaced/substituted by creating
> an
> >> implementation of IHostContainerFinder and registering it as a
> service
> >> (whiteboard pattern) via the service registry with a
service.ranking