[ecf-dev] Announce: weekly ECF integration builds

Hi Folks,

In order to more easily accomodate the equinox p2 usage of ECF filetransfer over the next few months prior to Ganymede, we are going to start having weekly integration builds.

Integration Build Day:  Monday, ~4pm pacific time.

This will start Monday, Feb 25.

The Equinox p2 and Eclipse platform teams will typically consume these builds the following day for their weekly Tuesday integration build.

The integration build will look like our current daily builds in that we will deploy both zips and update site to download.eclipse.org...proabably in a new dir under the ecf area.

There will be two new elements that we don't currently do in our daily builds:

1) Tag of source for all projects included in build
2) Creation of map file for consumption by equinox/platform team (currently the Orbit project constructs map files for the Orbit bundles, so that other projects may consume the Orbit-built bundles...for example:

http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/drops/S20080209163815/

see at top of page (map file in GET, http format)

We will likely be using/reusing the custom ant task created for Orbit project to generate these map files. Projects that want to include ECF bundles (like p2) will simply be able to copy the appropriate map file entries into their own map files, and they will then be included in their builds.

What this means for ECF committers and contributors

To make this reliable, I'm going to ask that we:

1) For the next few weeks (until M6), make no changes to the following bundles on weekend or Mondays:

org.eclipse.ecf.identity
org.eclipse.ecf
org.eclipse.ecf.filetransfer
org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer
org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.httpclient

This list may get longer as we approach Ganymede (e.g. discovery bundles, other filetransfer providers like bittorrent, etc)

2) Please attempt to get in major enhancements or changes in any bundles by Friday of the given week, so that some regression testing can take place on Sat/Sun/Mon

3) At M6 (after EclipseCon) we will have an API freeze for the core and filetransfer APIs.

4) At sometime shortly after M6 (perhaps M7) we will have an API freeze for all ECF APIs (not just filetransfer and core).

5) At sometime shortly after M7 we will have a feature freeze for all of ECF in prep for Ganymede release. I will detail this process further in a ECF Ganymede ramp-down policy doc in wiki as soon as possible.

Thanksinadvance for everything,

Scott

Back to the top